Sunday, January 24, 2010

Michael Our Prince

Who is Michael? In the Bible we only find a few verses referring to Michael.

But I will shew thee that which is noted in the scripture of truth: and there is none that holdeth with me in these things, but Michael your prince. Daniel 10:21

And at that time shall Michael stand up, the great prince which standeth for the children of thy people: and there shall be a time of trouble, such as never was since there was a nation even to that same time: and at that time thy people shall be delivered, every one that shall be found written in the book. Daniel 12:1

And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels. Revelation 12:7

In these first three verses we see that the description given to Michael is "your prince" and "the great prince". So who is our great Prince?

For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. Isaiah 9:6

Now lets look at the verse that has brought confusion to many.

Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee. Jude 1:9

Some argue that the description of "archangel" means that Michael is not Jesus (because Jesus is God) but is simply one of the most powerful angels in heaven.

However, lets look at the meaning of this name and title:

“Michael” - Who is like God?

This name can only be given to Jesus because who else is like God, but Jesus?

Lets look at the title of “archangel”

  • It is composed of the two Greek words:
    • arch / archo - first, main, chief, principal, to govern, to send
    • angel / angelos – messenger

Now we understand a little better why Michael is described as "your prince", "the great prince" and "archangel".

In the next study will look at the title that is given to the Jehovah the son, "Angel of Jehovah", in the Old Testament. This does not diminish the divinity of Jesus, but simply is a title that describes the work He does.

I conclude with the last part of verse:

Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee. Jude 1:9

Some say, Michael is not Jesus because he rebuked Satan in the name of the Lord. But this is not the first time we see this.

And he shewed me Joshua the high priest standing before the angel of the LORD, and Satan standing at his right hand to resist him. And the LORD said unto Satan, The LORD rebuke thee, O Satan; even the LORD that hath chosen Jerusalem rebuke thee: is not this a brand plucked out of the fire? Zechariah 3:1, 2

The Lord Jesus, not only when He was on earth, acted on behalf of the Father. The creation, His sacrifice on the cross, redemption and the second coming, all are done to glorify the Father, our God. Our salvation, the love God has for us is manifested through Jesus.

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him…Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works. Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake. Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father. And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it. John 14:6, 7, 10-14

At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you. He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him. Judas saith unto him, not Iscariot, Lord, how is it that thou wilt manifest thyself unto us, and not unto the world? Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him. He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me. These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you. But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I. And now I have told you before it come to pass, that, when it is come to pass, ye might believe. Hereafter I will not talk much with you: for the prince of this world cometh, and hath nothing in me. But that the world may know that I love the Father; and as the Father gave me commandment, even so I do...John 14:20-31

How extraordinary is Jesus, our creator, our redeemer! Through Him we know the Father. He deserves all honor and all glory. For the Lord Jesus, being God, died for us to manifest the love of the Father. Thus Satan and sin are defeated.

Therefore, He says, “let not your heart be troubled” because He is preparing mansions for us and will return soon.

For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. 1 Thessalonians 4:16, 17



THE LORD IS COMING, AMEN, YES, COME LORD JESUS!

No comments:

Post a Comment